MEET MARK MCCABE
September 18, 2016
MEET MARK MCCABE
SEPTEMBER 17, 2013
Mark McCabe MISCP MSc(Sports Med) CSCS (Ireland):
“I first tried the Elliptigo at the American College of Sports Medicine Conference, San Francisco in 2012 and immediately saw the potential benefits it could offer as a rehab conditioning tool.
Subsequently while training this year primarily for Ironman Arizona 2013 I developed a High Hamstring tendinopathy that forced me to stop running. I used the ElliptiGO in place of all planned run sessions without pain during rehab and subsequently was surprised at how good my run fitness was on return to graded running.
I even won a Half Ironman national Age Group medal on 3 weeks run training and lots of ElliptiGO training. I’ve been using Elliptigo for 6 months and can see the huge benefit it offers runners, tri-athletes and active individuals as a great means of low impact training which closely mimics the muscle activation patterns of running.
To-date I have been able to use it with clients to hasten conditioning gains in their rehab from lower limb bone / tendon and ligament injuries. Being able to work outdoors greatly reduces the monotony associated with the typical cross-trainer or pool running.
Below are what I believe to be the key benefits of ElliptiGO Training:
- Develop all energy systems for whatever your sport in a low impact manner.
- Boost training volume safely to allow greater performance gains.
- Run-specific muscle activation patterns encouraging lower limb triple extension and good posture to allow direct transfer to running.
- Allows early conditioning safely in the event of lower limb injury. It’s low impact mode of exercise spares joints /tendons that need healing time.
- Excellent way to safely improve running performance for new runners looking to increase fitness while minimising injury risk associated with too much running too soon.”